Wednesday 23rd of November 2011, Circular hike in Ob Khan National Park with Optional Swim
This is a relatively short unhurried circular hike of 4.5 to 6 km through beautiful forest and alongside the Nam Mae Khan. We start at an altitude of 340 metres and rise to a maximum of 475 metres. There are many up and downs and along the trails there are some short difficult sections where the trail has been destroyed by landslips or deteriorated over time or little bridges have become unusable. A short part of the trail is along a stream bed but no need to get wet feet. Another part involves climbing over some big boulders alongside the river. Besides hiking on two legs some of us might prefer to scramble up on all fours or slide down on our bums!
- hike on a rising track at altitudes between 339 metres and 474 metres until we reach a stream.
- here the trail is blocked by fallen trees and bamboo so we go down to the stream and follow it.
- On reaching the junction of three trails we shall stop for refreshments and rest on the rocks.
- We resume the hike by climbing a short fairly steep bank and continue on the pathway abandoned by the Park Authorities
- On this section there are various obstacles to be overcome and we go down to the river bed to avoid some, and then back up again.
- This section of the trail finishes when we meet up with “official” numbered trail that runs alongside the river bed.
- We pass spectcular views of the river and its ravine as the offical numbered trail brings us back to the visitor Centre.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day.
We will leave from the arboretum at 9 am.
Dogs are not welcome and may have to be left in cages at the entrance. Alcohol is forbidden. The Restaurant will probably be open with a somewhat limited menu. Restrooms are available. There is also a little cafe on the waters’ edge selling bottled and canned drinks.
- around 1.5-2 litres of water or more and snacks.
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- lots of energy, good humour and enthusiasm
- optionally bring a swimming costume