Sunday 20th November 2011, Galare Restaurant Circular Hike
This is an about 6.5 km circular walk starting from Galae restaurant parking lot. We will be walking for around 3-4 hours pending on group speed and length of our breaks. Even though we would judge this hike as not difficult, the uphill part of the first third of the hike requires a certain fitness level.
For this nice nature hike, we will :
- hike uphill for the first third of the hike covering about 350 m of altitude
- pending on clear weather we will have a nice view from the view point across Chiang Mai
- walk down for about 1.5 km on the Doi Suthep road before entering a small trail to Wat Palaad, where we will have a break for snacks and drinks
- after the break, we hike down a short part of the Wat Palaad nature trail before we turn off to a very small and hardly visible nature trail leading us back to Galae restaurant
Bring around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks. Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant, sunblock and rain gear. The last part of the hike will lead us through high gras and bushes, so long trousers are recommended. If by chance it is raining heavily we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain and it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down.
For this hike we will meet directly at the parking lot of Galae Restaurant at 9 am.
Directions to the Galare restaurant :
- Go out to the end of Suthep Rd. Pass the back entrance of Chiang Mai Uni on Suthep Rd.
- After the road starts rising sharply keep on following the road as it curves round to the left . You will see the Galare Restaurant on your left hand side after less than 1 km after the road starts rising sharply (it’s on the right side of the small lake up there.
See also maps to the restaurant below :
Drink / Food
Bring enough water and food for a breakfast/brunch break in the middle of the hike.