Sunday 6th of November, Hike from the Campsite below Doi Pui Peak to the Coffee Shop And down to Wat Doi Suthep
This is a 12 km hike, mostly downhill which is suitable for all. It will be a fairly sedately paced hike on wide well trodden trails.
An excellent report of a similar hike can be found on the CM Hikers web site by clicking on Trip Reports, scrolling down to 26 Sep 2010 and clicking on the first entry entitled “Hike from Ban Doi Pui unmanned ‘chkpt’ to Wat Doi Suthep”. (or by clicking on this link)
We can partake of refreshments at the Coffee Shop where Coffee and two biscuits are available at 30 bt. For anything more substantial please bring your own! We are likely to take a lunch break during the hike of 9 kms from the Coffee Shop, via the Hmong Tribal village of Ban Khun Chang Khian, to the Temple on Doi Suthep. From the Temple area we return by Song Taew to the Arboretum.
The hike leaders for this hike are Maggie and John.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
This time we will meet at 8 a.m in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- Bring around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant, sunblock and rain gear
If by chance it is raining heavily we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down.