Sunday 6th March 2011 – Circular Hike from Ban Doi Pui to summit of Doi Pui
This is an 11 kms Hike starting from the Hmong Tribal village Ban Doi Pui at an altitude of 1,270m with a leisurely walk through the beautifully kept garden (admission 10 bt) and continuing fairly level for the first 3 km though forest. Then we start the ascent and rise some 400 metres over 1.5 kms to reach the Doi Pui summit where there is a nearby spot for our picnic lunch. After lunch we descend on a different track through the forest and then on the road until we reach the right hand track that returns us to Ban Doi Pui. The access to the village is on well made stairs from a Buddhist site whose name I do not know.
We will :
- meet at the arboretum at 8:00 and will carpool, or take a Somng Taew up to Ban Doi Pui.
- be prepared to pay 100 – 150 bt in either case.
- have a leisurely walk for the first 3 kms
- ascend about 400 metres over 1.5 kms to reach the summit of Doi Pui
- have a lunch break mear the summit
- descend from the summit through forest and then on the paved road.
- arrive back at the village by well made stairs from a Buddhist site.
Dorothy & Brian.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
This time we will meet at 8 a.m in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- A light heart, quite a bit of energy and a lively sense of humour