Sunday 20th of March, Circular Hike from Baan Mae Khi Along A Mountain Ridge
This is a 11km circular walk through a seldom visited forest. We may have time to do some extra exploration of the area to go and see the river nearby which will add another few kilometers to the hike. This is a fast paced hike, we will maintain a fast pace with few rest breaks. Only fit hikers that enjoy a fast pace should attend. There is a more sedately paced hike on the same day. We will be walking for around 3 hours. We will drive for an hour out of town and go up the mountain and into the forest NE of Mae Rim. This hike requires a good fitness level.
We will :
- meet at the arboretum at 7am. See map below.
- we will share cars and drive out to the start of the hike on good tarmacked roads in about an hour.
- We will start at an altitude of 920m above sea level near a village called Baan Mae Khi.
- We will walk along a mountain ridge with some gentle ascents at times.
- We will come down into interesting jungle with a fairly easy path through the jungle.
- We will pass through an area where dragon fruit are being grown.
- We will walk back along an off road car track making very good time along a wide track with little traffic.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
This time we will meet at 7 am in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
Please bring :
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and lunch
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- enthusiasm, energy and a sense of humour