Sunday 13th March 2011, Circular hike from the Camp Site to the Summit of Doi Pui via the Coffee Shop
This is a moderately paced hike, there is another fast paced hike on the same day. This is the second hike of a trilogy of hikes at high altitudes suitable for the warmer March weather and above the polluted air at lower levels. It is another, but shorter, circular hike to the summit of Doi Pui and we expect to spend a bit of time at the Coffee shop where coffee and a couple of biscuits cost 30 bt and packs of coffee are also on sale. The Coffee shop looks over the valley of the coffee plantation and rest rooms are available. We may visit the Hmong Tribal village Ban Khun Chang Khian where some of the villagers are often eager to show off their tribal costumes, archery and other skills.
The walk from the Camp Site to the village is on a mainly paved downhill track and we go from an elevation of about 1,500 metres to about 1,400 metres. From the Village we go uphill and rise about 300 metres over 2 kms to reach the summit of Doi Pui (1,685m). As we near the summit there are a few places that merit the description “a bit of a scramble”. Close to the summit there is a picnic area where we may have the lunch and refreshments that we have brought with us.
Our descent from the summit will be over the slightly longer but easier gradient than the rather steep short cut back to the Camp site. Much of the hike is in the shade of the forest and we expect to cover about 8 kms in 5 – 6 hours.
- meet at the arboretum at 8:00 and will carpool or go by song taew (please expect to pay 150 bt in either case)to the parking spot at the Camp Site down the road from the Doi Pui Barrier.
- walk down the road about 3 km the Coffee Shop for a short Coffee break.
- walk down the road for almost another 1 km to reach the junction where the Hmong Tribal Village Ban Khun Chang Khian lies on our right./li>
- may visit the village for a little while.
- begin the 2 km ascent to Doi Pui from the junction near the village and rise about 270 m.
- arrive at a picnic place near the summitr of Doi Pui where we will have a lunch break.
- begin the 150m descent from the summit first on a forest trail and then on the paved track to reach the NP Barrier after about 2km.
- walk up and down over about another 1km on paved track and return to the Camp Site.
- will have been hiking at a leisurely pace mainly under the forest canopy.
Dorothy and Brian
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
This time we will meet at 8 am in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
Please bring :
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and lunch
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- enthusiasm, energy and a sense of humour