Sunday 20th of February 2011, Hike from Near Mae Rim Up To Baan Khun Chiang Kian Hill Tribe Village
Dire warning : Do not come on this hike unless you enjoy a fast pace and are in good physical shape. We will maintain a fast pace and take few breaks. This will be a fairly long uphill hike. We will walk a total of 14 km up, from a height of 448m up to 1368m above sea level. The ascent is gradual but constant. We will travel on good wide single tracks or off road car tracks which we will make pretty good time on. There will be some spectacular views walking up the mountain and through a lovely valley between mountain ridges.
This hike will involve around 5 hours walking and a half an hour stop for lunch. It will take just less than an hour to drive to the start point and 40 minutes to drive back to the arboretum. So we should be back at the arboretum before 3.30 pm.
Pics from Previous Exploratory Hike
Screen Shot of Trail (Purple) We Will Hike in Google Earth
Altitude Graph of Trail We Will Hike from Google Earth
We will be walking up from Mae Rim whereas this graph shows a descent on the same path but you get the idea.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
We will meet at the arboretum as usual at 8 am.
The aboretum (otherwise known as Suan Luukachaat Huay Kaeow or Huay Kaeow Excercise park) is out along Huay Kaeow Rd.
- From the moat driving out along Huay Kaeow Rd you will immediately pass Kad Suan Kaeow shopping mall on the left.
- Go straight on through the first big intersection Amari Rincombe intersection.
- Go straight on further past the Phucombe intersection (you will see a dunkin doughnut on the corner).
- Go past the front entrance to Chiang Mai University.
- After less the a kilometer you will see a small park on your left. This is the arboretum.
- We meet at the car park just after the arboretum, well before Chiang Mai Zoo. It is a small car park, at the back there are some food stalls, away from the road. We meet about 10 meters in from the road.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and rain gear
- Bring around 3 liters of water or more, food (we will stop for lunch) and snacks
We will hire songtaews and have them take us to the starting point of the hike and then come and pick us up from the finish of our hike near Mae Rim. The price per songtaew might be anything from 1,000 to 1,400 B split up to 4-10 ways depending on how many people turn up on the day and how many songtaews we hire. The price per person will be in the range of 100 – 350 B.