Sunday 20th of February 2011, Circular hike from 700 years stadium to Huay Tung Taew
This is a circular hike that starts and finishes at the south western end of the dam behind the 700th Year Stadium at an altitude of c. 340 metres and rises 200 metres over 1.4 kms by the time a waterfall is reached. From here we descend and meet the usual low level track to Huay Tung Thao reservoir where we take lunch at one of the lakeside restaurants.( If we go to the “beach” area there may be an opportunity to bathe.) There is some uphill hiking and some steep descent. There are elements that can be described as a Moderate hike, Hill scramble, Easy Walk and Gentle stroll. However, this hike cannot be rated as a Mountain Challenge! Estimated time 5 –6 hours, distance 12 – 13 kms round trip.
- meet at the South Western end of the dam behind the 700 uears Stadium for an 08:00 am start.
- hike up about 1.8 km to a waterfall at elevation 545 metres
- Hike for about 1 km gently rising only 60 m to our maximum elevation of 607 metres
- hike down about 1.2 km to meet the low level track to HTT.
- Turn left and head towards Huay Tung Taew reservoir – 2 km on a more or less level trail through mainly forest.
- On reaching the reservoir we will decide whether to have lunch at the nearby restaurants or walk 1.5 km to the “beach” area.
- Return along the 2 km trail before branching to the left along a trail that will bring us back to the other end of the dam
- Walk over the dam and arrive at the start area.
Dorothy and Brian
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
This time we will meet before 08:00 am in the car park at the South Western end of the dam behind the 700 years Stadium.
- Head straight out from the North West corner of the moat 2 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road (H.1004).
- Turn right onto the Canal Road H.121
- After 4.5 km going North turn left at traffic lights into the Stadium area.
- Keep straight for about 1 km and pass through the check point after which the road goes uphill to reach the dam.
- around 1.5-2 litres of water or more and snacks – NB: we plan to have lunch at a restaurant.
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- lots of energy, good humour and enthusiasm