Sunday 13th of February, Trek from Behind Ratchapreuk (Royal Flora) Gardens to Phuping Palace
This will be a tough hike, we will move quickly with few breaks. This hike is suited to hikers who are experienced, are in shape and enjoy a fast pace, only. We will walk 7.89 km ascending from the area roughly behind the Ratchapreuk Flower Gardens to just above Phuping Palace. A total ascent of 1095 m. The ascent is fairly gradual but constant. It will take us around 4 hours during which time we will stop for a break and some lunch. It is a great little trail with some wonderful views.
Screen shot of the trail we will take in Google Earth
Path we will take is green, red paths are roads :
Altitude graph of the hike again from Google Earth
The graph gives you some idea of the ascent involved which is spread over a long distance and you can see the distance traveled at the bottom of the graph :
Unfortunately we have no photos from our exploratory hike this time but it was a beautiful hike with a well marked easy to follow trail. Was a little difficult finding the start of the trail but once we found it was difficult to lose it again! The trail is not really overgrown so shorts will be fine for this hike.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
We will meet at the arboretum as usual at 8 am.
The aboretum (otherwise known as Suan Luukachaat Huay Kaeow or Huay Kaeow Excercise park) is out along Huay Kaeow Rd.
- From the moat driving out along Huay Kaeow Rd you will immediately pass Kad Suan Kaeow shopping mall on the left.
- Go straight on through the first big intersection Amari Rincombe intersection.
- Go straight on further past the Phucombe intersection (you will see a dunkin doughnut on the corner).
- Go past the front entrance to Chiang Mai University.
- After less the a kilometer you will see a small park on your left. This is the arboretum.
- We meet at the car park just after the arboretum, well before Chiang Mai Zoo. It is a small car park, at the back there are some food stalls, away from the road. We meet about 10 meters in from the road.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and rain gear
- Bring around 2-3 liters of water, food (we will stop for lunch) and snacks
We will hire songtaews and have them take us to the starting point of the hike and then come and pick us up from Phuping Palace at the top. We know some songtaew drivers who regularly take people up Doi Suthep so they can drop some people off at the temple hopefully on their ways up after dropping us off and we can get a fairly good price from them for our drop off and pick up. The price per songtaew might be anything from 1,000 to 1,400 B split up to 10 ways depending on how many people turn up on the day and how many songtaews we hire. The price per person will be in the range of 100 – 200 B.