Thursday 27th of January 2011, Hike From Flight of the Gibbon’s to Mae Jem
This may be up to a 20 km hike. A high degree of physical fitness is required. We will start from above the Mae Kampong waterfall and hike down into Mae Jem in Jae Son national park. We will hire a guide for the trip, this will be a first exploration for the hiking group and we will rely on the guide to guide us.
Depending on how many people turn up on the day and how many people have cars we will work out the cheapest transportation options on the day but transportation for a small group may be quite expensive. With the cost of the guide split between us and the cost of transportation from the end of the hike and to the beginning we may have to pay between 200 – 500 B each. But I think this will be worth it as this will be a beautiful hike in unspoilt forest.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
This time we will meet at 8 a.m sharp at the main entrance of Chiang Mai Railway Station (pictured above).
- Head out to Nawarat Bridge.
- Cross the birdge and keep going out on Charoen Mueang Rd.
- The Railway Station is on the right after 1.9 km.
- Enter the railway station and meet us at the main entrance to the station itself. It is better to park outside as there is a charge for parking after 20 minutes in the car park.
See the map below (click to enlarge it).
- Bring around 2-3 liters of water or more, some kind of lunch and snacks
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
If by chance it is raining heavily we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down.