Thursday 20th of January 2011, Trek from the Arboretum over the Peak of Doi Pui and Down to Baan Doi Pui
This will be a tough hike of around 17.6 km, mostly up hill, we will maintain a fast pace with few stops. A high level of physical fitness is required. We will meet at 7 a.m. at the arboretum (see below).
We will :
- start walking from the arboretum.
- walk through Huay Kaeow Waterfall from the back entrance.
- cross the road behind the waterfall that goes up to Wat Doi Suthep.
- head up the mountain through the forest coming to the Hmong village Baan Khun Chang Kian.
- we will walk from there to get coffee at the Chiang Mai University coffee shop.
- we will head up from there after being suitably caffeinated up to the peak of Doi Pui up the ridge that leads from near Baan Khun Chang Kian.
- we will then go down the back side of Doi Pui.
- and finally we will walk back to Baan Doi Pui, the touristy Hmong village, where we will jump in a songtaew for the one hour ride back to town.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
This time we will meet at 7 a.m in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- Bring around 3-6 liters of water or more and snacks and food for lunch
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant, sunblock and rain gear
If by chance it is raining heavily we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down.