Sunday 23rd of January, Hike to Hidden Waterfall
We will :
- meet at the arboretum at 8:00 and will carpool up to the first parking spot on Doi Suthep, Wang Bua Ban, where we will leave the cars
- walk up about 1/2 km to Pha Nguep, cross the road, and continue up a wooded trail, rough and steep in places.
- after about 1 1/2 hrs. we should reach a large intersection, and after a watering break, follow a wide track down to a lychee orchard.
- From here it is a short distance to the foot of the waterfall. Coming back to the turn off for the waterfall, we will then walk through the orchard, stopping under the trees to enjoy our pack lunches.
- We will then cross the local gardens and a s tream and continue on a narow trail through the forest for about 1 1/2 hrs. This has steep dropoffs in places and several logs to climb under or over.
- This will bring us out to a wide dirt track which we will follow down, crossing over a deep crevass created by an earthquake, again crossing a stream, and so on down to the end of the trail, coming out where our cars are parked.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
This time we will meet at 8 a.m in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- lots of energy