New Years Day, Saturday, 1st January 2011! Afternoon Walk up to Wat Doi Suthep and back
This will be a 1 pm start so that people have time to get over their hangovers and struggle out of bed. The plan is to meet at the end of the Suthep Rd for a change, and then walk to Wat Doi Suthep and back from there. This is a quite steep hike that requires a fairly good fitness level.
The idea is that this could be a tradition that we could do every year. A New Years Day hike – great to sweat out the alcohol from the night before for those who imbibe and to work off some of the Christmas pudge.
- Start at the end of Suthep Road.
- Walk from there on a fairly steep at times road up to the start of the Palaad Nature Trail.
- Walk to Wat Palaad on the the Palaad Nature Trail. We will stop here briefly for a break at this beautiful old temple with a waterfall running through it.
- Cross the road going up to Wat Doi Suthep.
- Continue up on a trail on the other side of the road all the way up to Wat Doi Suthep.
- After a break for refreshments we will come back down the same way.
The altitude graph shows that the ascent of Wat Doi Suthep on the Pilgrim’s trail is a very constant gradual ascent. The line at 2.57km is the location of Wat Palaad, a little more than half way through the hike at a height of 661m. Wat Doi Suthep is at 991m above sea level and at a distance of 4.23 km from the start. Remember this is a there and back hike so we will be going back down again as well!
Map of the Trail
In the map below the twisty turny red line is the road up to Wat Doi Suthep. The white line is the old Pilgrim’s trail we will be taking.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place at the end of Suthep Road on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
This time we will meet at 1 p.m at the end of Suthep Road.
- Head straight out from the eastern side of the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Suthep Road.
- Go right out to the end of the road past what is widely referred to as the ‘back’ entrance to Chiang Mai University.
- We will be at the end of Suthep Road where there is a turning to the right to go behind the Uni. If you start following the road on steeply up the hill you have gone too far!
See the maps below (click to enlarge them). The red cross hairs marks the spot where we will meet.
- Have a light lunch before coming on this afternoon hike
- Bring around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant, sunblock and rain gear
If by chance it is raining heavily we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down.