Sunday 21st of November (Loi Khratong Weekend), Hike to ‘Buddha’s Foot Print’, Around to Chiang Mai University Agricultural Research Center (site B).
We will meet at 8 am. We expect to walk 15-18 km. This is the longest hike that the group does that requires a high level of physical fitness.
- We will meet at 8 am at the arboretum as usual.
- We will drive by songthaew up to Ban Doi Pui the touristy Hmong Village 1270 m above sea level.
- We will start walking from Ban Doi Pui along an easy well shaded path towards Doi Pa Kha / Doi Pa Klong
- We will walk along the ridge of Doi Pa Kha which reachs 1550m with wonderful views from either side. We will stop up here for snacks.
- There is a ‘Buddha’s foot print’ near the peak here which we will pass.
- We will walk down from the other side of the ridge along an off road car track through fields and Lychee plantations for about 3 kms.
- We will walk back along a well shaded path through the forest on a level track below the Doi Pui and Doi Pa Kha / Doi Pa Klong peaks for around 6 km back to the CMU agricultural research center.
Pics from the last time we did this hike
Quote from the trip report from the last time we did this trail :
This was a fabulous although tiring hike. We walked for a total of 7 hours, at a rather sedate pace and covered 18.6 km. This is the furthest as far as I am aware that the group has ever walked. Our song thaew driver could not make it to the pick up point because of muddy roads and so we had to walk another 3km more than the expected 15km.
Hopefully this time the songtaew will be able to make it all the way to the CMU agricultural research center but this cannot be guaranteed. Last time it was impassable because it was too muddy in the rainy season.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
This time we will meet at 8 a.m in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- Bring around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant, sunblock and rain gear
If by chance it is raining heavily we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down.