Sunday 19th of December Hike to the Peak of Doi Khun Tan
Doi Khun Tan is in the mountain range SE of Chiang Mai.
We’ll hike up to the summit of Doi Khun Tan, where we’ll relax, enjoy the view and have a nice lunch. The hike is about 5 km one way, so figure about 5 hours round trip hiking. It is a pretty easy climb but is nevertheless 5km of uphill walking.
Suggested transportation fee is 200 baht per person. There is also a 100 baht per person park entry fee, which may be discounted for those with a Thai driving license or similar. It will take around 1 hours 30 minutes to drive the 79 km out to the park.
Below is a map of the hiking trails up Doi Khun Tan. We will follow the road which is marked as an orange dashed line on the map to the end and then walk from there.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
This time we will meet at 8 a.m sharp at the main entrance of Chiang Mai Railway Station (pictured above).
- Head out to Nawarat Bridge.
- Cross the birdge and keep going out on Charoen Mueang Rd.
- The Railway Station is on the right after 1.9 km.
- Enter the railway station and meet us at the main entrance to the station itself. It is better to park outside as there is a charge for parking after 20 minutes in the car park.
See the map below (click to enlarge it).
- Bring around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant, sunblock and rain gear
If by chance it is raining heavily we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down.