Sunday 14th November, Mae Kuang Twin Dams Boat Trip and Walk
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
Meeting Place 1 – Huay Kaeow Arboretum
This time we will meet at 8.00 a.m in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
Meeting Place 2 – East Corner of Eastern Mae Kuang Dam
- Start from the Superhighway junction with route 118 (Doi Sacket and Chiang Rai direction).
- Proceed for approximately 17 kms on route 118 until :
- junction signed overhead “Chiang Rai ^ and Rajamangala Uni >”.
- There is also a smaller roadside sign “Wang Tarn Resort 6 km”
- Take this left turn off route 118.
- There is a barrier – usually unmanned and raised.
- Follow canal on your right direction North for about 4.8 km.
- Turn left again (ignoring Wang Tarn Resort ahead)
- Follow the road direction West (passing a gate) for about 0.7 km
- Turn right
- Follow this road for about 1.5 km until you reach the dam
- Turn right again at the dam.
- Drive over the dam embankment for about 0.6 km until you turn left onto a dirt road and find a parking spot before reaching the restaurant.
See the map below. For those with a GPS for road navigation we will meet at N18 56.329 E99 08.376.
- Bring around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant, sunblock and rain gear
- Bring money for the boat ride, lunch at the restaurant and for a contribution towards petrol if car pooling (150 B recommended).
If, by chance, it is raining heavily we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down. If in doubt give me a call on 0873004668, please don’t call before 7 a.m.