Sunday October 10th Hike, Picnic and Swim – Downhill Trek from Doi Pha Nok Kok Across to Ban Mae Ha the Other Side of Samoeng Loop Road
This will be a fairly long downhill hike. We are going to walk from one side of the Samoeng loop to the other. We will walk a total of 12 km down, from a height of 1070 down to 470 meters above sea level. The descent is not very steep at any point. We will travel on good wide single tracks or off road car tracks which we will make pretty good time on. There will be some spectacular views walking down through a valley between mountain ridges. We will also be going to visit a fairly big beautiful reservoir at the foot of the mountains for a well deserved rest, a picnic and swim.
This hike will involve around 5 hours walking and then we will travel on to a reservoir for a 45 minute stop for a picnic and a swim. It will take just less than an hour to drive to the start point and an hour to drive back to the arboretum. So we should be back at the arboretum before 4 pm.
Pics of Reservoir Where We Will Be Picnicking and / or Swimming
Screen Shot of Trail (White) We Will Hike in Google Earth
The red tracks at the top and bottom of the screens you see are the Samoeng Loop road. We will be walking down from the North (top side of pic) to the South side of the Samoeng Loop road. The light blue lines you see following the white lines that is our track for the last third of the hike are the track we did previously from Baan Mae Ha to the fishing lake.
Screen Shot of Altitude Graph of Trail We Will Hike in Google Earth
- We will take a Songthaew around past Queen Sirikit botanical gardens on the Samoeng Rd and then up from Pong Yaeng to above Baan Pha Nok Kok. This is the same place we started the Doi Pha Nok Kok ridge walk a little more than a month ago.
- We will walk down between ridges of the mountain for around 7 km.
- We will come down to the fishing lake we visited just a few weeks ago.
- We will walk roughly another 5 km down past the turn offs to the Dtaat Krok waterfalls but won’t be visiting them this time.
- We will finish on the Southern side of the Samoeng loop near Baan Mae Ha.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
We will meet at the arboretum as usual at 8 am.
The aboretum (otherwise known as Suan Luukachaat Huay Kaeow or Huay Kaeow Excercise park) is out along Huay Kaeow Rd.
- From the moat driving out along Huay Kaeow Rd you will immediately pass Kad Suan Kaeow shopping mall on the left.
- Go straight on through the first big intersection Amari Rincombe intersection.
- Go straight on further past the Phucombe intersection (you will see a dunkin doughnut on the corner).
- Go past the front entrance to Chiang Mai University.
- After less the a kilometer you will see a small park on your left. This is the arboretum.
- We meet at the car park just after the arboretum, well before Chiang Mai Zoo. It is a small car park, at the back there are some food stalls, away from the road. We meet about 10 meters in from the road.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and rain gear
- Bring around 3 liters of water or more, food and snacks to eat during the walk
- You may want to bring a swim suit for a swim in the reservoir, and more food for picnicking beside the lake. You will be able to leave provisions with the songtaew(s) which we will be hiring for the day.
- Bring a picnic mat if you have one.
We will hire songtaews and have them take us to the starting point of the hike and then come and pick us up from the finish of our hike near Ban Mae Ha. The price per songtaew might be anything from 1,000 to 1,400 B split up to 10 ways depending on how many people turn up on the day and how many songtaews we hire. The price per person will be in the range of 100 – 200 B.
If it rains
If it is raining heavily in the morning we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down. If in doubt give me a call on 0873004668. Please don’t call before 6:30 AM.