Sunday 17th October Trek from Arboretum through Huay Kaeow Waterfall Up the Mountain Ridge to a Secret waterfall then Down Another Mountain Ridge To Arboretum
A 16k hike up from the the aboretum up a ridge of Doi Suthep to a remote waterfall at around 1000m altitude before returning down again. This will be a very tough hike. A good fitness therefore required so that the group can maintain a decent walking pace please. If an experienced hiker wanted to arrange an alternative shorter walk on the same day that would be great. Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
The gradient is mostly medium, but includes many uphill sections with an altitude gain nearly 750m and can take 7 hours+ depending on group speed. We start from the arboretum at the bottom of Doi Suthep and walk through Huay Kaeow Waterfall, right up through the valley head and to the “secret waterfall” below the Hmong Village Ban Maeo Chang Khian. We retrace and continue up to to the “view point” at a 5 way junction.
It is a rewarding walk using some old forgotten forest paths with fallen trees and small streams to cross. The walk offers a variety of scenery, forest, farmland, a farm village, wildlife and a remote waterfall.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
We will meet at the arboretum as usual at 8 am.
The aboretum (otherwise known as Suan Luukachaat Huay Kaeow or Huay Kaeow Excercise park) is out along Huay Kaeow Rd.
- From the moat driving out along Huay Kaeow Rd you will immediately pass Kad Suan Kaeow shopping mall on the left.
- Go straight on through the first big intersection Amari Rincombe intersection.
- Go straight on further past the Phucombe intersection (you will see a dunkin doughnut on the corner).
- Go past the front entrance to Chiang Mai University.
- After less the a kilometer you will see a small park on your left. This is the arboretum.
- We meet at the car park just after the arboretum, well before Chiang Mai Zoo. It is a small car park, at the back there are some food stalls, away from the road. We meet about 10 meters in from the road.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and rain gear just in case
- Bring around 3 liters of water or more, food and snacks to eat during the walk
We will start walking right from the arboretum this time. No need for song thaews or car sharing this time and we will have more walking time.
If it rains
If it is raining heavily in the morning we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down. If in doubt give me a call on 0873004668. Please don’t call before 6:30 AM.