Sunday 12th of September Walk to Fishing Lake Above Baan Mae Ha Via Dtaat Krok Waterfalls
This will be a sedately paced hike covering just less than 9km in 4/5 hours. We will visit various stages of the Dtaat Krok waterfall on the way up to a peaceful little fishing lake where we may be able to have a swim.
Track and Altitude Graph
Pictures Taken During Exploratory Hike
Description of Hike
- meet at the arboretum at 8am. See map below.
- we will share cars and take a pleasant drive out to the start of the hike. We will drive South on the canal road and then along the Southern side of the Samoeng loop.
- We will start at an altitude of just 425m above sea level near a village called Baan Mae Ha.
- We will visit various stages of the Dtaat Krok waterfall while gently ascending up the mountain.
- We will arrive at a peaceful little fishing lake and stop here for lunch and possibly a swim if there is an area of the lake where people are not fishing.
- We will walk back along a wide walking path making very good time.
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and rain gear
- Optionally bring some swimming gear and a towel
- Bring around 2 liters of water, food for a picnic and snacks
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming unless you are coming in a big group.
We will meet at the arboretum as usual at 8 am.
The aboretum (otherwise known as Suan Luukachaat Huay Kaeow or Huay Kaeow Excercise park) is out along Huay Kaeow Rd.
- From the moat driving out along Huay Kaeow Rd you will immediately pass Kad Suan Kaeow shopping mall on the left.
- Go straight on through the first big intersection Amari Rincombe intersection.
- Go straight on further past the Phucombe intersection (you will see a dunkin doughnut on the corner).
- Go past the front entrance to Chiang Mai University.
- After less the a kilometer you will see a small park on your left. This is the arboretum.
- We meet at the car park just after the arboretum, well before Chiang Mai Zoo. It is a small car park, at the back there are some food stalls, away from the road. We meet about 10 meters in from the road.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
If it rains
If it is raining heavily in the morning we will probably cancel the hike. If the rain is not too heavy and it looks like the weather might clear up though we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down. If in doubt give me a call on 0873004668. Please don’t call before 6:30 AM.